Transportation impacts many aspects of the world’s economy and has a direct relationship with quality of life. A variety of transportation challenges exist that have the potential to impact the position of Tennessee and the nation in the global marketplace. While spurring economic development, transportation also can negatively affect the life of the average person in terms of congestion, traffic crashes, energy consumption, and pollution. The transportation community is faced with grand challenges that include ameliorating these problems and improving the transportation infrastructure.
Recognizing the need to develop innovative solutions to transportation problems, the faculty in CEE’s Transportation Engineering and Science Program (TESP) is actively involved in educating the transportation workforce of the future, conducting research on transportation innovations, and disseminating knowledge to researchers and practitioners. We are continually expanding our research, education, workforce development and outreach activities, and working collaboratively with research centers as well as faculty from other departments.
- Transportation operations (especially intelligent transportation systems)
- Sustainable transportation
- Editing journals, including Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems; International Journal of Sustainable Transportation; Journal of Transportation Safety and Security
- Leadership in the following professional organizations: Transportation Research Board; Council of University Transportation Centers; American Society of Civil Engineers; Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Driving Simulator Lab
- Traffic Simulation Lab
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Lab
Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
ITE is an international individual member educational and scientific association, and it is one of the largest multimodal professional transportation organizations in the world. ITE members are traffic engineers, transportation planners, and other professionals responsible for meeting society’s needs for safe and efficient surface transportation.
UT’s ITE Student Chapter is a great way to meet other students interested in the field. It also provides valuable networking opportunities with professors and professionals working in transportation engineering.