Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue


The Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate program offers both research and teaching assistantships. Generally, decisions about assistantships are not made until after a student has applied and been accepted into our program. Assistantships are awarded to qualified students as funds are made available. The compensation level depends on several factors including the qualifications of the student and whether it is a MS or PhD program. All students on assistantships receive a complete tuition waiver. Assistantships are evaluated on a semester basis or as funds become available.

Beginning fall 2022, graduate students on assistantships will no longer pay mandatory fees (library fee, technology fee, etc.) and differential tuition (charges associated with certain colleges). Such fees will now be covered by the university.

It is the policy of the department that masters students supported by university-related financial aid complete an integrated project, which is defined as a Thesis (Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering 500) or Special Problem (Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering 590). The appointment letter may specify which of the two options must be selected.

Applicants for research assistantships should:

  1. Apply to the Graduate School and be accepted into the applicable program.
  2. Obtain and return three letters of recommendation. Additional letters of recommendation are not needed if they have been submitted as part of the Graduate School application. The recommendation letters do not have to be written in any set form.

Upon acceptance into the Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate program, you may wish to call your advisor to discuss your opportunities for an assistantship.