Haochen Li joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering as an Assistant Professor in August 2022, after two years as a postdoctoral associate at the University of Florida. He received his PhD in Environmental Engineering and MS in Mechanical Engineering from University of Florida in 2019. He received his MS in Civil Engineering from University of Florida in 2015 and BS in Coastal Engineering from Hohai University in 2013.
His lab, water infrastructure laboratory (Ψ lab), leverages and integrates state-of-the-art physical modeling, high-fidelity first-principles simulations (e.g., computational fluid dynamics, CFD), and artificial intelligence (AI) techniques (e.g., machine learning, ML) to address challenging issues in the urban water cycle and sustainable development. The missions of the Ψ lab are to advance multiphysics and multiphase flow prediction in natural and built water infrastructures and to enable robust and efficient next-generation water infrastructure planning, design, optimization, and management.
- Urban Hydrology
- Water Treatment
- Environmental Flow
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Physics-informed Machine Learning
- PhD in Environmental Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2019
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2019
- MS in Civil Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2015
- BS in Coastal Engineering, Hohai University, Nanjing, China, 2013
- Member, ASCE/EWRI Computational Fluid Dynamics Committee
- Reviewer for Water Research, Powder Technology, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Engineering Computations, Sustainability, OpenFOAM Journal, Journal of Mountain Science, Energies, npj Clean Water, and Micromachines.
Awards and Recognitions
- Editor choice, Journal of Environmental Engineering ASCE, 2021
- Editor choice, Journal of Environmental Engineering ASCE, 2020
- Graduate School Fellowship, University of Florida, 2015
- Academic Achievement Award Scholarship, University of Florida, 2013
Recent publications are listed below. A full list of publications is available on Google Scholar.
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2022). Implementing machine learning to optimize the cost-benefit of urban water clarifier geometrics. Water Research, 220, 118685. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WATRES.2022.118685
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2022). A CFD-ML augmented alternative to residence time for clarification basin scaling and design. Water Research, 209, 117965. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WATRES.2021.117965
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2022). Interrogating common clarification models for unit operation systems with dynamic similitude. Water Research, 215, 118265. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.WATRES.2022.118265
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2022). InterAdsFoam: An Open-Source CFD Model for Granular Media–Adsorption Systems with Dynamic Reaction Zones Subject to Uncontrolled Urban Water Fluxes. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 148(9), 04022049. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0002027
Li, H., Balachandar, S., & Sansalone, J. (2021). Discordance of Tracer Transport and Particulate Matter Fate in a Baffled Clarification System. Journal of Fluids Engineering, 143(5), 051202. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4049690
Li, H., Balachandar, S., & Sansalone, J. (2021). Large-eddy simulation of flow turbulence in clarification systems. Acta Mechanica, 232(4), 1389–1412. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-020-02914-1
Li, H., Spelman, D., & Sansalone, J. (2021). Baffled clarification basin hydrodynamics and elution in a continuous time domain. Journal of Hydrology, 595, 125958. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.125958
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2021). Benchmarking Reynolds-Averaged Navier–Stokes Turbulence Models for Water Clarification Systems. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 147(9), 04021031. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001889
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. (2021). CFD with evolutionary optimization for stormwater basin retrofits. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 147(7), 04021017. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001881
Li, H., & Sansalone, J. J. (2021). Representation of near-wall particle fate in a Eulerian-Lagrangian approach for clarifier unit operations. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 147(7), 04021019. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001887