John Ma joined the faculty of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Tennessee in August 2005. He received his PhD from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln in 1998. He is a registered professional engineer in Nebraska.
Evaluation of ASR-affected structures
3D Printing of Concrete
Behavior of Prestressed Concrete Bridges
Accelerated Bridge Construction for Durability
Seismic Behavior of Unreinforced Railroad Piers
Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering
Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering
Awards and Recognitions
- Moses E. and Mayme Brooks Distinguished Professor Award, 2019
- UT TCE Research Achievement Award, 2018
- ASCE Tennessee Section’s Daniel B. Barge, Jr Award, 2018
- UT TCE Outstanding Advisor Award 2016
- ASCE’s Raymond C. Reese Research Prize, 2013
- UT CEE Scholar Recognition, 2012
- Fellow of ASCE, 2011
- ASCE Tennessee Section’s Peter G. Hoadley Award, 2009
- NSF CAREER Award, 2004
- ASCE’s T.Y. Lin Award, 2002
- PCI’s Martin P. Korn Award, 2001
Recent Publications (* = graduate student):
- Abd-Elssamd, A.* et al (2019), “Effect of ASR Expansion Rate and Confinement on Concrete Degradation.” ACI Materials Journal (under Review).
- Hayes, N. W.* et al (2018), “Monitoring Alkali-Silica Reaction Significance in Nuclear Concrete Structural Members.” Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 179 – 189.
- Jiang, X.* et al (2017), “Effect of Embedment Length on Bond of 18 mm (0.7 in.) Strand by Pullout Test.” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 114, No. 3, pp. 707 – 717.
- Qi, J.* et al (2017), “Shear Strength of UHPFRC Beams: Mesoscale Fiber-Matrix Discrete Model.” ASCE J. Struct. Eng., Vol. 143, No. 4, Article No. 04016209.
- He, Z.* et al (2017). "Shear Deformations of RC Beams under Service Loads." ASCE J. Struct. Eng. Vol. 143, No. 1, Article No. 04016153.
- Jing, Y.* et al (2016), “Full-Scale Lateral Impact Testing of Prestressed Concrete Girder,” Structural Concrete – Journal of the FIB, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 947 – 958.
- Ning, N. et al. (2016), “Design Recommendations for Achieving Strong-Column-Weak-Beam in RC Frames,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 126, pp. 343 – 352.
- Song, W.* et al. (2013), “Equivalent Strip Width for FRP Superstructure Design Using Timoshenko Beam Approximation,” ASCE J. of Composites for Construction, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 744 – 752.
- Ma, Z. et al. (2012), “Transverse Joint Details with Tight Bend Diameter U-Bars for Accelerated Bridge Construction,” ASCE J. of Struct. Eng., Vol. 138, No. 6, pp. 697 - 707.
- Cao, Q.* and Ma, Z. (2011) “Behavior of Externally FRP Reinforced Shrinkage-Compensating Concrete Beams,” ACI Structural Journal, Sept. – Oct., Vol. 108, No.5, pp. 592 – 600.